Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pulmonary Embolism question?

I had bi-lateral pulmonary embolisms 5 months ago post-op and was hospitalized for a few days. My symptoms were 9/10 pain, could not move due to pain, shortness of breath, low sats, tachycardia, etc... The Doc said the pain should go away within 4-6 weeks. Since then, I have had the usual "zingers" of extreme pain which only last for a few seconds, and an ache of about 2-3/10 pain which comes and goes almost on a daily basis. But I have also occasionally been having signs of new PE's as well. This has happened about 3-4 times over the last 5 months, each time getting worse. Yesterday I had the *exact* same symptoms as my original PE with 9/10 pain, dyspnea, shortness of breath, etc... and But here is the kicker. These "attacks" are temporary and yesterdays episode only lasted about 10 minutes or so and left as quickly as it came. These are debilitating and cannot move or breath while I have them. I have to sit in a semi-tripod position and take very short, shallow breaths to keep the pain down. I have been treated for pleurisy (which I don't meet the criteria for but willing to try anything) and cannot distinguish the symptoms between my original PE and these episodes. However, I know that symptoms of a PE don't just "go away" like mine have been. I really feels like I have a sudden blockage of my vessel which breaks loose and allows blood flow again. Perhaps scar tissue or left over PE, I have no idea but am a Paramedic/Firefighter and return to work this week and CANNOT have this problem while on duty. My Doc doesn't know what is going on (she has referred me to yoga and acupuncture. I am looking for a new Doc right now) and need to get this problem fixed. I have searched the internet tirelessly and haven't found anything remotely comparable to my symptoms. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment